Reflections from my days in New York last week…
- There is no other country in the world where I dread entering a public toilet more than in the US. Sure enough, after a 9 hour flight, I was hoisting my suitcase over a disquieting puddle on an airport restroom floor. Deplorable conditions which I have never experienced in any other country.
- The New York Times crossword puzzle is more difficult in the actual newsprint version than when you print it out at home. I have no logical explanation for this.
- Foods I made a point to eat, in chronological order: roast beef sandwich from Terrace Bagels with a Stewart’s root beer; egg and cheese sandwich, vanilla-hazelnut coffee; one slice (also with root beer); dumplings from Rickshaw (why didn’t anyone tell me they don’t do fried ones anymore??); coffee and pie at a diner; Five Guys burger with fries (and a root beer – apparently I missed root beer a lot); b-r-u-n-c-h: chocolate chip banana pancakes.
- Current price of a bag of Reese’s peanut butter cups miniatures: $6.99
- Never come to New York when the UN is in town. Just don’t do it.
- After complaining that the Pink Lady apple I was buying at a street cart was bruised, the vendor tried to give me a nicer one for free. I was unable to not pay him for the fruit.
- Six varieties of “Law & Order”? Don’t mind if I do.